Deadline: February 23, 2018
The Appalachian Studies Association offers a limited number of scholarships to individuals requiring financial assistance to attend the ASA annual conference. We truly love funding people. It is part of our mission. In the past we have been able to fund most of those who have requested a scholarship. Our funds are limited so we prioritize our scholarships according to those with the most need. We ask applicants to first seek financial assistance from their own institution or organization, if applicable, before applying for an ASA Scholarship. Additionally, this year, we will be adding in an application question asking for general information regarding ranges of household income to assist with the decision process.
Scholarships cover the cost of registration/membership only. Meals and other ticketed activities are not included. Travel and lodging are the responsibility of conference attendees. An ASA scholarship serves as your registration for the conference. Scholarship applicants do not need to register or pay UNLESS they have been notified that they are not receiving a scholarship. The scholarship application deadline is February 23, 2018. Recipients will be notified by March 2, 2018. Meals must be ordered by March 26.
Please note the following:
- Be sure to include an email that is checked frequently so you do not miss the award notification! Please contact us at email@example.com if you do not hear from us by March 2.
- If you apply for a scholarship and pay registration, we will assume that you do not need the scholarship and will award it to someone on our waiting list.
- Award recipients must confirm receipt of the award by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by March 9, 2018.
- Scholarship awards may not be transferred to another conference attendee.
- Recipients who accept the award and later find that they are unable to attend should email email@example.com so that the award can be redirected to someone on our waiting list.
- Meals may be ordered by completing the conference registration form, available at http://appalachianstudies.org/annualconference/files/2018-registration-form.pdf, and marking “Scholarship Recipient” at the top. Completed forms should be returned by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by US Post to Appalachian Studies Association, One John Marshall Drive, Huntington, WV 25755.
- Applicants who do not receive the award should register online at http://www.press.uillinois.edu/journals/jas/subscription.html by March 9, 2018, to receive the pre-conference rate.