2014 Annual Appalachian Studies Conference
New Appalachia: Known Realities and Imagined Possibilities
March 28-30, 2014
Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia
Online registration for the 37th Annual Appalachian Studies Conference is now open. This year's conference will be held March 28-30, 2014, on the Marshall University campus in Huntington, West Virginia. We are pleased to offer conference registration and membership renewal online through the ASA's new partnership with the University of Illinois Press.
Click here to register for the conference and renew your membership online. If you would prefer to register by mail, use the updated registration form and mail to Journals Division, University of Illinois Press, 1325 South Oak Street, Champaign, IL 61820. Please continue to make checks payable to the Appalachian Studies Association.
If you have any questions about your membership or conference registration, please email email@example.com or call toll-free 866-244-0626.
Thanks, as always, for your support of the Appalachian Studies Association!
Be sure to request the Appalachian Studies Association conference rate. Rates are subject to taxes and some will vary depending on the number of people. Most of these hotels include complimentary breakfasts. Book early as hotels release rooms to the general public two to four weeks in advance of the conference.
• Downtown hotels (less than one mile to Marshall University):
- Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites - Rate: $99 or $107 with breakfast; 800 Third Avenue, Huntington, WV 25701, 304-523-8880
- Pullman Plaza - Rate: $92; 1001 Third Avenue, Huntington, WV, 304-525-1001 or 866-613-3611
• Hotels at Exit 11 off I-64 (2.5 Miles to Marshall University):
- Hampton Inn and Suites - Rate: $119; 177 Kinetic Drive, Huntington, WV 25701, 304-523-8001
- Ramada Limited Hotel and Conference Pavilion - Rate: $85.99; 3094 16th Street Road, Huntington, WV 25701, 304-523-4242
- Super 8 - Rate: $73.95; 3090 16th Street Road, Huntington, WV 25701, 304-525-1410
- TownPlace Suites by Marriott - Rate: $109; 157 Kinetic Drive, Huntington, WV 25701, 304-525-4877
• Cabins near Exit 5 off I-64 (5 miles to Marshall University):
- Heritage Bed & Breakfast at Heritage Farm Historical Museum - 2 and 4 bedroom cabins, $175 & $225 per night; 3300 Harvey Road, Huntington, WV 25704, 304-522-1244
• Hotels at Exit 15 off I-64 (4 - 6 miles to Marshall University):
- Days Inn - Rate: TBD; 5196 U.S. Route 60 East, Huntington, WV 25705, 304-733-4477
- Quality Inn - Rate: $69; 3325 U.S. Route 60 East, Huntington, WV 25705, 304-525-7001
- Red Roof Inn - Rate: $71.99 (Standard Double) $76.99 (Superior King); 5190 U.S. Route 60 East, Huntington, WV 25705, 304-733-3737
• Hotels at Exit 20 off I-64 (11 miles to Marshall University by the Huntington Mall):
- Best Western - Rate: $69.00; 3441 US Route 60 East, Barboursville, WV 25504, 304-736-9772
- Comfort Inn - Rate: $89.99; 249 Mall Rd, Barboursville, WV 25504, 304-733-2122
- Hampton Inn - Rate: $94.50; One Cracker Barrel Drive, Barboursville, WV 25504, 304-733-5300
- Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Barboursville - Rate: $99 or $107 with breakfast; 3551 U.S. Route 60 East, Barboursville, WV 25504, 304-733-3338
Conference Chair and Immediate Past President
Mary Jo Graham
Local Arrangements Chair
2014 ASA Preliminary Program
The preliminary schedule for the Appalachian Studies spring conference is posted at http://mds.marshall.edu/asa_conference/2014/Full/. If you note any errors or time conflicts, please e-mail Marianna Linz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2014 ASA Conference Schedule of Sessions
Online Conference Registration form
Conference Registration form (updated) (PDF, 82K) Please note: submitting a proposal is not the same as registering and paying for the conference. If you submit a proposal you must also register and pay. Please let other participants in your session know they also must register. To receive the discounted price, please register by March 1, 2014. You may register by using the form below and mailing to the address on the form.
2014 Call for Participation
PLEASE NOTE: There are two minor errors in the Call for Participation.
• Sessions will be 75 minutes in length, not 90 minutes, with a maximum of 4 presenters in each session.
• The Appalachian Film Festival has been abridged. Instead of a separate, ticketed event, all films will be screened on campus as a part of the conference.
We are in the process of organizing the schedule for presentation for the spring conference. Within the coming weeks, you will receive an e-mail indicating when your presentation is scheduled. There may be changes in the schedule, based on the preferences and needs of presenters, up through the first part of March. Please contact Marianna Linz (email@example.com) if you experience any of the following situations:
1. You submitted a poster or other type of presentation but did not receive word of its acceptance or rejection.
2. The time that your presentation is scheduled conflicts with another obligation you have for the conference.
3. There are errors in the submission in terms of title, authors, etc.
Scholarship Application Form
2013 – Boone, North Carolina
Appalachian State University
Communities in Action, Landscapes in Change
2012 – Indiana, Pennsylvania
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
The Wide Reach of Appalachia